Why Join Minnesota Women Lawyers?
Minnesota Women Lawyers brings together nearly 1,300 lawyers, judges, law students, legal employers and supporters who are dedicated to advancing the success of women in the legal profession and striving for a just society.
Since its inception in 1972, MWL has worked to address the changing needs of women in the profession by offering a wide-range of activities and benefits. By taking full advantage of your membership, you’ll find that MWL provides ample opportunities to develop as a leader, network with other attorneys, learn in a collegial and supportive environment, and foster greater satisfaction within the practice of law.
Through it's events and initiatives, MWL's work encompasses the following three values:
- Equality: Promoting equality and diversity within the legal profession and the community.
- Leadership: Developing women lawyers into leaders.
- Community: Engaging and celebrating a diverse community of women lawyers.
Join Minnesota Women Lawyers
Make the Most of Your MWL Membership
Thanks to the active involvement of its membership, Minnesota Women Lawyers is one of the most vibrant women’s bar associations in the country. However, the value of a membership in MWL is really based upon what one makes of the opportunities available. Therefore, members are encouraged get to attend an event, participate in a Chapter meeting, join a Committee to help coordinate an event or an initiative, create an Affinity Group, or contact us about something completely new. Learn more about getting involved here.
Member Benefits at a Glance:
• Receive discount registration to MWL's signature events, as well as other sponsored programs and seminars.
• Consider MWL a powerful source of potential clients and career advancement, through its many networking, social and professional development opportunities.
• Attend modestly-priced or free CLE’s on topics of interest to our membership.
• Gain valuable leadership skills by serving on an MWL Committee, Taskforce, Chapter Board, or the Board of Directors.
• Search the MWL Member Directory, a valuable resource for referrals and networking.
• Participate in a student to attorney mentoring program.
• Receive MWL’s quarterly online publication With Equal Right, the only statewide publication focusing on issues important to women in the legal profession.
• Stay up to date with the latest at MWL with MWL Happenings, our weekly online calendar of events and news.
• Search the MWL Member-Only Directory, a valuable resource for referrals and networking.
• Participate as a member of MWL's Media Resource List, promoted to statewide media sources, who wish to add depth or clarification to their stories, by accessing a list of experienced attorneys in various practice areas who can analyze a situation and explain it to listeners, readers or viewers..
• Access MWL member-only resources for potential judicial candidates, such as application review and mock interviews.
• Nominate leaders within the legal profession for one of MWL’s Annual Awards.
• Get involved with a current MWL Affinity Group (or create a new group).
• Help to leverage the strength and power of our collective voice on issues of common interest, through the work of our Community Action & Advocacy Committee.
• Support the MWL Foundation and its Law Student Scholarship, Leslie Altman Memorial Scholarship and Justice Rosalie Wahl Memorial Tribute at Tubman.
• Help advocate for MWL's "I Want To Be Counted" campaign, which supports the collection of current and comprehensive data on the status of Minnesota attorneys, and is one of many initiatives that the MWL Parity Committee feels is vital in the effort towards achieving parity for women in the legal profession.
• Participate in a local MWL Chapter. Member-driven chapters are found in the St. Cloud area (Central Chapter), the Duluth area (Northeastern Chapter), the Mankato/New Ulm area (South Central Chapter) and in Washington and Chisago Counties (St. Croix Valley Chapter).
• Let MWL help you promote your accomplishments through its Celebrating Success feature on LinkedIn, With Equal Right's "Members on the Move" and other congratulatory posts about our members.
• Learn about events and leadership opportunities with other organizations through postings on the MWL website.
• And more even opportunities throughout the year.....
Above all, Minnesota Women Lawyers is a mission-drive association. MWL exists to celebrate the successes that women attorneys have achieved, and to address the challenges women attorneys still face. Join MWL in order to add your voice to the many attorneys who are dedicated to advancing the success of women in the legal profession and striving for a just society.
MWL Membership Dues
MWL member dues provide the foundational support which makes the work of the association possible.
MWL remains committed to offering dues levels that meet the needs of a variety of circumstances and income levels, allowing the association to be accessible to all those in the legal community. General membership levels are based on the year an individual was admitted to the bar. MWL also offers additional membership levels to fit individual situations.
We also invite members to consider becoming a Premier Member. Premier Membership allows members to demonstrate their commitment to MWL's mission, streamline annual support, and enjoy the benefits all year long.
Membership dues are based on the fiscal year, July 1st to June 30th. MWL offers prorated membership dues from January 1-April 30 annually. During this time, 2016-2017 memberships are offered at a 50% discounted rate. Please note that all memberships will expire on June 30, 2017. Your prorated dues discount will be applied at the end of your membership dues form, under Payment Amount. If you have any questions, please contact Hannah at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to the table below for a complete outline of membership levels. Feel free to contact MWL Executive Director Debra Pexa more information.
| Membership Level
|| Annual Membership Dues
||Pro-Rated Membership Dues
*Beginning January 1, 2017- April 30, 2017
| Admitted 16+ (prior to 1999)
| Admitted 11-15 years (2000-2004)
| Admitted 6-10 years (2005-2009)
| Admitted 1-5 years (2010-2014)
| First year admitted (2015-2016)
| Greater Minnesota
| Non-Attorney Associate
| Income Under $55,000
| Law Student
| Special Circumstance
- Diamond, Sapphire and Emerald Premier Memberships support MWL at the highest level. Each level includes a package of annual benefits. Visit Premier Membership for complete details.
- Greater Minnesota memberships are for individuals living outside the seven-county metro area.
- Retired memberships are for retired attorneys and judges.
- Special Circumstance memberships are for individuals who cannot afford the basic dues level.
Back to the Top