Minnesota Women Lawyers Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Approved by the MWL Board of Directors
April 28, 2016
Minnesota Women Lawyers (MWL) respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives of every person. MWL believes that bringing diverse individuals together allows us to collectively and more effectively develop ideas, respond to the needs of our membership, and address issues within our legal community. Accordingly, MWL aims to attract, retain, develop and support a membership and leadership that is diverse. MWL also seeks to leverage the proven benefits of a diverse and inclusive organization: strong leadership, equality, creativity, innovation, and community.
In addition, MWL seeks to foster and build a community of inclusion that values, cares and respects every individual. MWL welcomes the wide range of experiences and viewpoints that diverse members bring to MWL, including, but not limited to, those based on nationality, gender, culture, educational and professional backgrounds, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, age and generational differences, religion, area of practice and geography. MWL is committed to individual and organizational efforts to build respect, dignity, fairness, caring, equality and self-esteem.
Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan:
As part of MWL’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, we seek to:
- Incorporate diversity and inclusion into all aspects of our organization, including, but not limited to, membership, leadership, programming, initiatives and award criteria.
- Communicate our commitment to diversity and inclusion, including but not limited to, highlighting success stories that demonstrate our commitment, providing programming that addresses diversity and inclusion, and coordinating efforts with other organizations on issues pertaining to diversity and inclusion.
- Partner with and maintain a dialogue with other organizations – including affinity bar groups and legal employers – on diversity and inclusion issues, programming, and goals.
- Develop and deliver diversity training focused on awareness and sensitivity, improving cultural competencies, and fostering a welcoming, respectful and inclusive environment.
- Create measurable diversity goals and objectives.